Thursday, October 22, 2009

Playing Catch Up

So with Marco starting this thing up again for me, here I go again, trying to keep up with the blogging world. I have never been good at writing in a journal. In fact, one of my best friends, Kelly, was so dedicated to hers when we were younger that if I forgot the specifics of something, I would have her check her archives to fill me in on the details of what happened on a certain date. Yes, most of the time we were with each other, so nine times out of ten, she had me on record. It is with her dedication as inspiration, along with all of my blogger friends that I set out to re-dedicate myself.

I must say that part of my problem is I feel like so much has happened lately and that there is no way to catch up. There is so much I want to write about: my pregnancy and my little angel, the adventures of the new house, our new life as a family and life before our little Mateo came along (which is now hard to imagine), including our "single life" and traveling adventures. I really want to be able to look back and remember these times because guaranteed, in a couple of years, I won't be able to remember a thing. You think I am kidding, but I have a horrible memory!

So just bare with me. If posts seem very random and out of order, well, it's because they will be. I will try not to stress myself out over the pressure of maintaining a blog, but instead take it one day at a time. Do you like the self pep talk?

Hmm..where to start?


My little Mateo. He is getting big so fast! He is 5 1/2 months old and is changing so much every day. Being a mom is the most amazing and most difficult job in the world and I am loving it. Don't get me wrong, there were and are still so many surprises that come along with the job. Some rewarding and some down right exhausting, physically and emotionally, but how quickly I forget those moments when he smiles or laughs and stares at me with his big brown eyes. So innocent and amazing is my little boy.

He has always been a good baby. Eating started out a little rough, but he obviously got the hang of it (have you seen my boys chunky legs, cheeks and well, everything?) although we had a little scare at first. I am breastfeeding, and it was a huge shock to me that the most natural thing in the world does not come naturally. I took a class and thought I was so prepared, but when we were getting ready to leave the hospital and he wasn't eating very well, it was so hard on me. We went for a weight check the day after we left the hospital and my pediatrician told me he couldn't lose any more weight. Right after that, I went to a lactation consultant and with more and more practice, he eventually got the hang of it. Let's just say that pretty much everyone at the hospital had seen the girls before we left and several people after, but it's amazing how quickly you don't care about that and will do whatever it takes to feed your baby.



He has always been a good sleeper, sleeping long enough for me to get some good sleep and continues on with that. Now that I am back to work, I have to get enough sleep or I don't function and it is like he understands that. He sleeps from about 8 or 9 until 5 or 6, he eats, a lot, and then falls asleep again until about 8:30 or 9. He cries in his sleep a couple of times but if you put his binky back in his mouth he is out again. I used to think that was a good thing but now I am not so sure. It seems like he should be done with that now, but nevertheless, I am thankful for sleep, even if I have to get up for 10 seconds to put it in his mouth and go back to sleep. Marco is supposed to take on the bulk of binky duty, which is usually getting up twice since I am up earlier to feed him, but he has slowly and conveniently stopped hearing him. In fact the other night, I watched him pick up the monitor like it was his alarm clock, turn it off and go back to sleep, even though the baby was still fussing. There is no snooze button!

He really is a healthy, happy and very social baby. He hits new milestones every week and I love learning more about him everyday and get so excited over the smallest things. Watching him discover the world is so fascinating to me. He loves being out and always has. I think he gets bored easily and loves running errands with us and just coos away. Since his first trip out with us, carried snugly in the sling Marco wore while I shopped for nursing bras (exciting I know), he loves it.



Some milestones to date: he has doubled his birth weight, smiled, laughed, discovered his hands, discovered his feet, has rolled from his stomach to his back, tries to eat his feet, fake coughs just to hear himself, grunts, is a fabulous pooper and farter, burps like a champ without even being burped, reaches for toys and pulls moms hair, finally enjoys tummy time, watches cartoons, screams happy little screams, sighs, he hard swallows like his dad and is doing well with physical therapy. Physical therapy, that is a future post.

6 comments:

Tara said...

I'm so glad you are back! And you are a good writer missy. It is hilarious how after you become a mother you lose all dignity and don't care anymore. I remember whipping the girls out in the hospital all the time too. I'm so glad things worked out and that he is such a happy healthy boy!

heather said...

Yay! I knew I shouldn't delete your link. I'm glad you're back and posting. These cute babies we all have sure make a lot to post about! He is such a cutie!

Jess said...

Love the pep talk... and the adorable pictures!

Seriously, your successful transition back to work is helping me have confidence that I can survive the next few weeks ahead of me!

Can't wait to read more :)

THE OLSONS said...

Love the updates! Thanks! It's so good to hear what's up with you guys now that it's tougher to get together. Love the part about Marco turning off the monitor! I was stunned to wake up one morning to Eric sound asleep and the monitor right by his ear with our baby screaming. He just kept sleeping.

Ciara said...

Glad to hear from you in the bloggig world. He is an adorable baby and sounds like everything is great!

Lindsee said...

Thanks Tara. I try! I am glad you didn't give up hope on me completely, Heather.

Jess, it is rough at first but once you get into a routine, it gets easier. Plus, you will have more time with your Claire Bear so I hope it will be easier on you.

Kell, I hope you are feeling better. We will have to get together soon.

Ciara, I can't believe how big your baby girl is now. She is adorable!